Plan an Event
Navigate Up
Sign In

Plan an Event / Regulatory Information

​Traffic Management and Temporary Road Closures for Events

Temporary Road Closures and appropriate traffic management measures must be considered where an event will have more than a minor effect on the normal use of a road for road users e.g. a concert that has a large expected number of attendees, or a motor vehicle event where roads are closed as part of the event.

If you are not sure whether you will need a temporary road closure or just traffic management, you can contact the Community Events Co-ordinator 09 430 4200 to discuss your event.

For information on holding an event which requires traffic management or temporarily closing a road (or roads), please click the link below to view on the Whangarei District Council's website.

Apply for a Temporary Road Closure


When organising an event, there are a number of factors to consider in relation to insurance, damage to property and health and safety issues.


The purpose of an indemnity is to require the person giving the indemnity to meet any claims made against the person who holds the indemnity.

If an event is to take place in an area which is usually open to the public, and which has private property nearby, Whangarei District Council needs to ensure that no injury occurs to members of the public and that no damage occurs to other people's property.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance is an insurance policy held by an organiser of an activity. It provides the organiser with some protection if a third party brings an action against the organiser or when there is a risk of damage. Without such a policy the organiser would be personally liable.

Public liability insurance will also be important when the organiser has indemnified Whangarei District Council, and a third party makes a claim against Whangarei District Council. For further information, contact an Insurance Broker.

Google Search - Insurance Brokers in Whangarei

If a community group doesn’t have insurance, please advise Council at time of booking (where you are booking a Council facility).

Damage Bond

If you are holding your event at a Whangarei District Council venue, you may be required to pay a bond to cover potential costs of repairing any damage and undertaking any clean up work (if the area as not left in the way it was found).

The bond amount will depend on the area you are using and the scale of activities you are undertaking. You will be required to pay the bond prior to the event (at least two weeks) so be sure to include it in your event budget.

Event Related Bylaws

Advertising Signage

If you are planning to install billboards posters or signage for the purpose of advertising your event these must comply with Whangarei District Council's Control of Advertising Signs Bylaw and Operative District Plan.

Control of Advertising Signs Bylaw Operative District Plan


If you are planning to have commercial food vendors or community fundraisers operating at your event, you may require permits or licenses for these.

For further information please view the Whangarei District Council website.

Stalls and mobile businesses

If you are supplying food at your event, please visit the New Zealand Food Safety Website for information on safe handling of food at events.

New Zealand Food Safety


If you are planning to sell alcohol or provide at your event you will need to apply for a special license under the Sale of Alcohol Act 2012.

For further information please view the Whangarei District Council website



If your will include amplifiers ( i.e music and microphones) or loud hailers. The noise must not exceed levels in Whangarei District Council's Operative District Plan.

For further on noise control visit the Whangarei District Council website here

Noise Control